Certified Lactation Educator Course
This course is an excellent starting point for those interested in learning about the process of breastfeeding, and educating new mothers about breastfeeding. This course teaches the anatomy and physiology of the breast, changes during pregnancy and lactation, and prepares the student to assess and provide anticipatory guidance regarding maternal nutrition, initiating and establishing successful breastfeeding, recognizing and managing common breastfeeding problems, and referral to community resources and breast feeding products.
This course will prepare the student to be able to educate new mother about breastfeeding.
- To increase the student’s awareness of the need to promote and support breastfeeding
- To increase the student’s knowledge of breastfeeding basics, including anatomy and physiology
- To be able to identify common and complex problems with breastfeeding
- To be aware of breastfeeding devices and their uses
- To promote consistency of information given to breastfeeding mothers
- To encourage a positive approach to breastfeeding promotion
- To encourage adoption of policies that promote and support breastfeeding
- To increase the student’s skills in supporting the breastfeeding mother
- To increase awareness of other groups who are promoting and supporting breastfeeding
- To encourage communities to work together to promote and support breastfeeding
- Role Delineation
- Baby Friendly Initiative
- AAP Position
- Teaching a Breastfeeding Class
- What is in breast milk
- Helping with Breastfeeding Basics
- Bias with breastfeeding/Cultural Competencies
- Common Problems
- Complex Problems
- Alternative Feeding Methods
- Knowing your limitations and Community Resources
Certification shall be granted to those who choose to complete the requirements below, following the 24 hour training program :
- Complete the required reading list.
- Non-pregnant participation in a lactation preparation class & breastfeeding class.
- Develop a Lactation Education curriculum
- 30 hours of Internship
- Co-teach or teach a breastfeeding class
- Observe 3 Births
- Two letters of recommendation from Lactation professionals
- Successful completion of written exam
Learning Materials & Resources
Counseling the Nursing Mother A lactation Consultant’s Guide- Fifth Edition Judith Lauwers & Anna Swishers
● High school diploma, GED or certificate from an institute of higher education
Certified Lactation Educator Course
Payment Plans Available
- Cancelation Policy: Cancelation at any time after first payment is subject to a $25 administration fee. Cancelation 30 days prior to start date of course will be issued full refund less $45.00 administration fee, 15 days prior subject to 50% refund, NO refund are given with in 7 days of course, but student may reschedule same course with in 12 months.
This course is offered in-person, face to face 3 times a year and online.
February 4, 11, 18, 25 Virtual/Online Course with Live Instructor
March 24, 25, 27 Honolulu, Hawaii Face to Face ( Sunday 2-6pm, Monday 6-10pm, Wednesday 6-10pm)
May 18 & 19 Orlando, Florida- Face to Face Course
July 8, 15, 22, 29 Virtual/Online Course with Live Instructor
October 26 & 27 Orlando, Florida Face to Face Course
November 7, 14, 25 & December 5 Virtual/Online Course with Live Instructor
Do I have to have any prerequisites to enroll in the Lactation Course?
No there are not.
Is the credential of Certified Lactation Educator regulated at a State or Federal Level?
No it is not. The Training and Certifications are issued by Commonsense Childbirth Institute.
Do I have to move to Florida to enroll in the CCC Program?
No, the uniqueness of this program is the flexibility it offers. We have designed these courses to be student friendly. We offer Face to Face or virtual courses.
If I live too far away, can I sponsor the Lactation Course in my area?
Yes, we have designed the program for those who have difficulties coming to Orlando, CCI can bring the Program to your
area. To sponsor the LE Program, you must help secure a training location and promote the Program in your area. If 10 students enroll, the “sponsoring ” student’s course tuition is complimentary. A great way to earn certification at reduced rate.
Does CCI help me gain my experience?
Yes, but we do not take full responsibility to provide all your experience.
If I have a friend who is breastfeeding, will working with her count as experience?
Yes, we allow you to count hours towards certification regardless of where the delivery and breastfeeding support takes place.
What if I have already attended another training?
Regardless of where or whom you have trained with you will be required to attend Lactation Educator Course at a Fellowship fee of $210. The Fellowship Student will still be required to meet all CCI Certification requirements, but may count past experience to meet the requirements. CCI will evaluate other Lactation Education Programs on a case by case basis to count.
If I enroll in the Lactation Educator am I officially enrolled in the 3 year Midwifery Program?
No, you are only enrolled in the Lactation Educator Course.